Friday, December 10, 2010

Chamundi Hills - Mysore

Chamundi hills is situated 3 kilometers southwest to the city and is one of the main tourist attractions here.The hill which is at an elevation of 1,000 meters, houses the temple of the Goddess of the Mysore kings -  Chamundi or Chamundeshwari. This temple was built in the 12th century.The temple Gopura is a feast for the eyes and so is the gigantic Mahishasura statue.




Years ago when I visited this place, dad asked me to pose in front of this statue. I hesitated to stand there fearing that the demon would me pick me up and gobble me.I was somewhere around 7-8 years then. That memory is still fresh in my mind.



The beautiful Gopura


Intricate carvings on the Gopura





We enjoyed a beautiful sunset before entering into the temple


There are several monkeys around So be sure to keep a tight hold on your belongings.This monkey was enjoying a coconut piece stolen from someones prasad bag...


View of the Gopura taken from inside the temple premises...



A panoramic view of the city is seen from the top of the hills. On the way down we could see the race course, the Lalitha Mahal palace, Mysore Palace, Karanji and Kukkarahalli lakes. There were also several small shires.If you are brave and fit enough you can climb the 1500+ steps to see the temple or take an easier way out, go by a vehicle.



On the way down from the temple, there is a five meter high Nandi [Shiva’s vahana / vehicle] craved out of a single black granite stone. The bull is adorned with bells and garlands and is magnificent.[Since it was getting dark,I could not take a clear picture ]

Lil Angel wanted to be our Chauffeur that day :).I love this click..


.

1 comment:

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear padmaja
It seems you are from Mysore. I used to go there when my sister was there. They used to stay near chamundi hills.
I like Mysore.
Lovely photograph and subject.
Have a nice weekend